Since this website is ostensibly about recipes, here's what's on the stove tonight.
Curried Chickpea and Collard Stew
1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 bunch collard greens, trimmed and tore up
1 cup water or vegetable broth
1 7 oz. can coconut milk
6 shallots, diced
3 cloves crushed and chopped garlic
1 tbsp. minced fresh ginger
1 tbsp. mustard seeds
1 tbsp. coriander seeds
1 1/2 tbsp. curry powder
1 tsp. Jamaican allspice
1 tsp. ground cumin
1. In a stewpot, saute mustard seeds on medium heat until they start to pop. Add coriander seeds and saute for another minute or so.
2. Add shallots, garlic, and ginger. Saute until the shallots are tender, and be careful not to burn the garlic.
3. Add the remaining spices and stir until well combined.
4. Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, and water or broth. When they come to a boil, add the collard greens. Simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
5. Add coconut milk. As soon as stew comes back to a boil, remove from heat. The flavor only gets better if the stew sits around for a while, but you're ready to eat.
There you go. Vegan for the People is born. Power to the people, and enjoy the soup.