Thursday, April 24, 2008

Chickpea Soup with Potato Dumplings

When it's probably time to go to the grocery store but I can't really justify the trip, I often fall back on soup. This one was made with odds and ends around the kitchen, and was really simple. I used canned or frozen veggies (except the shallots and garlic), vegetarian "chicken" broth powder, and even the dumpling mix was premade. I am just crazy about dumpling soup - people in my part of the world make some fantastic dumpling soups, and I'm proud to carry on the tradition, vegan style.

Chickpea Dumpling Soup
2 tbsp. canola oil
1 14 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 large carrot, diced
1 cup or so frozen green beans
1 pint canned tomatoes (made by Mom)
4-5 shallot bulbs, chopped (what's the unit of measurement for a shallot? Clove? I dunno.)
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
2 tbsp. low salt vegetarian chicken broth powder (the kind you can buy in bulk at some stores)
6 cups water, mixed with broth powder
1/2 package of this great vegan potato dumpling mix I found at the busted Sunmart store by my house, prepared according to package directions*
ground black pepper and salt, tamari, or bragg's liquid aminos to taste

1. In a large soup pot on medium-high heat, saute shallots, garlic, and carrots in canola oil for about five minutes, until the garlic and shallots are starting to brown.

2. Add broth water, and bring to a boil.

3. Add prepared dumpling mix in tablespoon sized scoops. Bring back to a boil, and heat for about 15 minutes.

4. Add remaining ingredients - chickpeas, green beans, and tomatoes. Simmer for another 10 minutes or so, and remove from heat.

5. As with just about anything I make, I add a few dashes of red pepper hot sauce just before serving.

* The dumpling mix I used was made mostly of flour and potato flakes, adding only water. I've made great dumplings with ingredients ranging from corn flour to tofu, and nummy cornmeal dumplings too. No matter what kind of dumpling source you're using, you can place them in the soup at the same point and it should all work out.

No comments: