Thursday, October 9, 2008

Summer's end, goodbye tomatoes

The Vegan MoFo project is a good motivator to keep posting some new vegan food every day, and nothing is more vegan than a plain old tomato. Or a bunch of tomatoes. These are pictures I took in early September when I picked the bulk of my tomatoes. That's Otter, sitting on my cucumber plant and guarding the product.


I know you've seen tomatoes before, but I'm proud of these. Check this out - with only three plants, I've picked over 230 tomatoes this summer. That's counting a few golf ball sized green ones lately, but a nice return on my investment of 4 bucks or so. I'm not a numbers-oriented person at all, but I thought it would be fun to keep track of the production in the garden. Here's some glowing jars of stewed tomatoes.

3 comments:

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

Very cool. The tomatoes look great, and of course, I liked seeing the close up of Otter! So cute.

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

WOW that's a lot of tomatoes!! Otter is so adorable watching over the goods! :)

Unknown said...

Can you tell us what variety of tomatoes gave you such a great yield in North Dakota? And/or what you did to nurture them? I would be in heaven if I could get my tomato plants to be that productive.