Thursday, November 6, 2008

Roasted Applesauce, Yes We Can

I've been lazy about posting lately, which I'll blame on pre-election stressing out - I live in North Dakota, after all - and too much work. Thankfully, this country proved Tuesday that we are better than the last eight years. Work was blissfully rained out this afternoon, so I spent my time at home with the dogs and a bag of apples from my sister. On the radio was NPR's "Talk of the World," and I've never been so happy peeling apples - the good feelings from around the world about Obama's election make me really believe, for the first time in a long time, that we can do things differently. I know it's all optimism and hope right now, but it's nice to feel good again about our place in the world. In his speech on Tuesday night the next President partly quoted Martin Luther King Jr.'s "the arc of history is long, but it bends towards justice." Whenever I feel hopeless about the issues we care about, I try to remember that.
I guess this post is about applesauce. I've made canned applesauce a couple of years now, and for this recipe I relied heavily on the roasted applesauce entry from Vegan With a Vengeance. I had around 40 small to medium sized apples. After peeling and removing the cores, I had just over four pints of sauce. The recipe includes brown sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice, allspice, and cinnamon.

1 comment:

Bianca said...

Hey there! So I just typed this long pro-Obama/I love Dr. King/realizing the dream/pro-applesauce message and my computer freaked out when I tried to submit...and now it's gone...so long story short, I love Obama and applesauce!