Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Thai Basil, Cashew, and Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto


On the way home for lunch Saturday I was craving something green and tangy and filling. I grabbed a bunch of Thai Basil leaves (from Fargo's wonderful Asian & American Market), tossed them in the blender with a few other odds and ends, and had this rocking pesto-spread ready by the time my bagels popped out of the toaster. Yes, I was proud of myself.
.................................
1 bunch Thai Basil leaves
1/2 cup raw cashews
5 sun-dried tomatoes*
1 key lime, juiced
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed and coarsely chopped (the blender will do the rest)
Salt and pepper to taste
* - I sometimes use the ready to eat kind (not oil packed, but like dried fruit) that don't need hydration. If you have the really dry kind, soak in hot water for a few minutes before using - consult the package.
.....................................
Throw everything in the blender or food processor, and pulse until it's nice and pasty. With a blender, you may need to scrape down the sides a couple of times to get all the kids on the dance floor. Enjoy as you would any pesto, but I love this on toasted bagels.

No comments: