Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Chili Variations

The days have been flying by, which has been detrimental to my blog postings...excuses, excuses. I have a few ideas I'm looking forward to getting up here, so hopefully I'll find some time soon. Tonight I'm cooking up a big pot of chili.
I've never made chili the same way twice. By it's nature, it is so open to variations of ingredients and spices. The staples for me are beans, tomatoes, and chili powder, and I take it from there. This one features sweet potatoes and pinto beans, with oddballs like cocoa powder, apple sauce, maple syrup, and mustard adding character. It's topped with cilantro and a simple tofu sour cream.

Chili
2 cups pinto beans (soaked overnight, cooked, and drained)
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 medium yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cup vegetable stock
1 cup cubed seitan (homemade)
2 tbsp. applesauce
1 tbsp. maple syrup
1 tbsp. ground cumin
1 pint canned diced tomatoes
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. brown mustard

diced green onions (for garnish)
chopped cilantro (same)
1. In a big soup pot, saute onions, garlic, and cubed sweet potato in a little canola oil.
2. Add veggie stock, bring to a boil, and reduce to simmer for 15 minutes or so.
3. Add everything else (except the green onions and cilantro).
4. Continue simmering for 10 minutes or so. Remove from heat, let cool for a few minutes, and add cilantro, onions, and tofu sour cream just before serving.

1 comment:

Dillon Sellers said...

Great reading your blogg post