Saturday, August 30, 2008

Brown Basmati Rice Salad with Grapes and Pistachios

I came back this morning from walking the dog crew on what turned into a hot and windy day, and improvised this salad. I loved it - the tomato, basil, and mint are Fargo-grown, and the other ingredients were in the fridge. The pistachio nuts and rice make this a satisfying meal, but it would be wonderful in a smaller portion next to grilled tofu, eggplant, or other roasted vegetables.

Rice Salad with Grapes and Pistachios
1 cup brown basmati rice (cooked and chilled)
10 or so seedless green grapes, halved or diced
1 Roma tomato, diced
1 1/2 tbsp. capers (these were packed in a balsamic vinegar brine)
1/2 cup pistachios, lightly toasted
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. salt
ground black pepper to taste

1. Mix it all up and enjoy. I had raw pistachios which I toasted for about 10 minutes over low heat in a dry frying pan. I let them cool a bit before adding to the salad.

3 comments:

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

All these different flavors sound delicious- capers, cumin, and grapes! And a great way to enjoy fresh herbs and vegetables.

Shawn Michel de Montaigne said...

What a terrific blog this is! I will be sure to drop back again soon!

I'm not a vegan, but as I age, my meat-eating goes down, and I expect that curve to eventually ground down to zero. It's a hard habit to break, me being raised in a German family, one where meat was served morning, noon, and night!

My best to you and this blog!

albert said...


Absolutely delicious extra Pure Traditional Basmati rice,classic recipe..looks divine.