Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Northern California

After just two and a half weeks or so in northern California, I find myself really starting to like the place. So many things here are pretty much like I figured they would be. That's good.

Today I had the day off, so I made some brownies this afternoon and went for a little hike. The brownies were a recipe from The Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. They're pretty yummy, and prominently feature applesauce. I'll get a picture up of those.

The hike is across the road from Farm Sanctuary, a place called Black Butte Recreation Area, or something like that. The weather today, like most days this month, has been just perfect. No wonder these Californians seem so relaxed. Windchill of deep winter does something to a people, and that hasn't happened here. Ever. I still love North Dakota, but there's much to be said for a land without winter. We'll get pictures of the hike up too. I saw a bunch of deer out there a few days ago; today, only turkey vultures and lizards.

What of the farm? The farm's still great. I worked closing shifts the last five days, which gives us a chance to "tuck in" the animals each night and make sure everybody is safe and where they belong. The highlight of this is usually the visit to Dutch the Duck, a great little guy who spends all day in his little pond and walks home at night with tiny little feet. Last night was a little adventure, and I'll be back with more on that later.

No comments: