Sunday, July 5, 2009

Sweet Corn and Zucchini Burgers

The 4th of July holiday triggered some kind of deep burger-craving mechanism in my head. At the same time, I'm trying to keep up with what's in the garden, so making frozen veggie burgers seemed kind of lame. These zucchini and sweet corn veggie burgers rode in to the rescue, courtesy of Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. There's a section on veggie burgers for all seasons, and the summer one was just what I needed. As anyone who has grown zucchini knows, they're crazy productive plants, so I might need to rename this Zucchini for the People for the next couple months.

These burgers are really heavy on sweet corn, which is a good thing. Fresh corn is ground to a paste in the food processor, and cornmeal provides a little more binding. Hot green chilies, onion, and garlic round out the flavors, giving the burgers a good kick. Since zucchini and corn are the main components, they're much lighter than burgers heavy on beans or tempeh or other more dense ingredients. Great for summer.

6 comments:

The Voracious Vegan said...

I cannot even believe how DELICIOUS these look! WOW! You used so many of my favorite flavors, my mouth is watering! Yummmmm....

Jenn said...

Yum! That's one amazing burger!

Bianca said...

I love different combos of beans and veggies in burgers. I made some homemade BBQ black-eyed pea burgers (for my cookbook) last night, and I was just thinking about how awesome vegans have it — we can make burgers in millions of flavor combos. Meat-eaters just have like beef and turkey burgers. How boring (and gross) is that?

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

They look amazing. I love sweetcorn so much. I could just eat a big bowl of it for dinner and be happy!!

maria said...

Wow! these look good!
but, I can't find the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Bianca !! Though these burgers look delightful nothing beats the rich tones of the real deal. Even my vegie sister misses the taste of a good fried chicken. Veggies are great but pleased don't be fooled!