Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Melon-Cucumber-Tomato Salad

This salad just makes me feel good. I call this my "farmer's market" salad, because I make it on many Saturday afternoons in the late summer and early fall here in Fargo after a trip to our local market on the banks of the Red River. I happened to have the components on hand today, so here you go. I especially love the taste of the melon with salt, pepper, and olive oil, which brings out a whole new dimension. The only fresh green herb I had on hand was parsley, but fresh dill would be perfect here. I'm sure a variation of this salad will be back this summer, with North Dakota/Minnesota grown fruits and veggies.
Melon-Cucumber-Tomato Salad
2 cups canteloupe, in roughly 1 inch cubes
1 cup cucumber, sliced in half vertically and 1/2 inch slices on the horizontal
1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes (or diced big tomatoes)
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
Fresh ground black pepper, a half teaspoon or so
a light sprinkle of sea salt
1/2 cup fresh green herb of your choice, coarsely chopped
1. Toss it all together. Eat on your porch on a sunny afternoon.

No comments: