Sunday, May 18, 2008

Tempura Nori Rolls

Since I saw these on another food blog, I've been meaning to give the tempura treatment to veggie nori rolls. I love nori rolls, and I love fried stuff, so it seemed like a lock. Here's the result. They kept together very well during the application of the tempura batter and frying, but I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be. In frying, the rolls lose the essence that I like about them, with crispy raw vegetables and rice all with their distinctive tastes. Given the tempura treatment, the roll filling just seemed to melt into one general taste, and the veggies seemed to lose something. That said, this was still pretty good, but next time I make nori rolls I probably won't be in a big hurry to go this next step. But sometimes I'm in a deep-fried mood, so I'll revisit these sometime.

No comments: