Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Red Beans and Rice and leftover pizza

I've been on a mission lately to do more cooking with dry beans, for the obvious reasons - they're so much cheaper, and I like being able to manage the taste and texture. Plus, winter is a great time to have a pot of beans simmering on the stove for an hour or so. I was looking longingly down south the last couple days, as Mardi Gras came to a close - I participated in spirit by making some really good red beans and rice, using a delicious recipe from http://www.fatfreevegan.com/. Nothing beats a good bowl of beans and rice.

I made this pizza earlier this week, with the last of my block of colby/cheddar from the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook. The toppings were mostly leftovers or stuff hanging around in the fridge - marinated artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes, and seitan. The base sauce was super easy and tasty - it's made with almost a whole bulb of roasted garlic, blended with a bunch of Thai basil leaves, spinach, and olive oil.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I let Mardi Gras go by without a cajun dish. Your beans and rice look saucy and tasty!